"Packaging is concerned with designing and producing of appropriate packages for a product."
Packaging is concerned with designing and producing of appropriate packages for a product. It can be described as coordinated system of preparing goods for transport, warehousing, logistics, sale and end Packaging.
- Physical Protection Protection from mechanical, shock, vibration, electrostatic discharge compression, temperature, dust, etc.
- Information Transmission Packages and labels communicate how to use, transport, recycle or dispose of the package or product.
- Marketing Can be used by marketers to encourage potential buyers to purchase the product.
- Security Packaging can play an important role in reducing the security risks of shipment.
- Convenience Packages can have features that add convenience in distribution, handling, stacking display, sale, opening, reclosing, use, dispensing, reuse, recycling and ease of disposal.
Types of Packaging for Garment
Various material used for packaging of Clothing and Apparel.
- Paper and Paper Board They are very popular packaging material. They are very cheap and provide opportunity to present article in colorful & attractive way. It can protect the contents from moisture to some extent.
- Plastic Material/Plastic packaging It has revolutionized the packaging industry. These types of package are durable, air tight and secure ex tamper proof bag.
- Glass Material/Glass packaging does not just protect; it actually adds value to its contents. The transparency of glass, whether colored or plain, ensures that the contents stand out visually, allowing consumers to immediately see the quality of the product concerned.
- Non Woven Fabric Material A dynamic, value-added alternative Nonwoven fabrics are a dynamic, value-added alternative to more traditional materials. With nonwoven technology, fabrics can be designed to take on an array of characteristics that other materials simply cannot match.
- Tin and Steel Can It is 100% recyclable, without loss in quality. It offers convenient, protective packaging, allowing ambient storage for certain products such as for the clothing and apparel. It provides an excellent barrier against water, oxygen and light. It is inexpensive.
Materials Used For Garments Packaging
A number of materials can be used to manufacture protective packaging products. These include:
- Packaging material that can be use for clothing and apparel. Plastic such as translucent plastics with the type of PVC (Polyvinyl chloride), PET/PE (polyethylene terephthalate/Polyethylene).
- Nonwoven plastic Perforated clothes packaging plastic bags with the type of LDPE (low density polyethylene ).
- Paper such as paper board, coated paper, crepe paper, Kraft paper bag.
- Current Trends/Additional Packaging for Clothing Fabric Packaging such as Hydrophilic non woven fabric bags, Laser non woven bag.
- Glass such as jars
- Tin and Steel Can
Shipment Packaging of Garments
Packaging may be divided in various classes with respect to its protection.
Close Container Carrying Garment it is covered completely, individually by merchandise package.
Open Container Carrying Garments In open merchandise packages coats, suits or dresses transported without individual covers on hangers suspended from potable hanger racks. The shipment package separate properly when it prevent the crushing of the garment during shipment.
Vacuum Packaging The function Vacuum Package include To reduce the shipment weight of shipping good. To prevent the garment from catching dust or odors before or during shipping. To prevent garments from acquiring wrinkles or creases during shipping. To minimize storage space for other manufacturer & retailer.
Function and Scope of Packaging
Packaging has two different functions
The Distribution Function deals with packaging the apparel in a manner which permits the apparel manufacturer to ship the product at lower cost & or in the shortest time to the purchaser without damaging the quality of the product. The Merchandising Function deals with presenting the apparel product in a manner designed to stimulate consumer desire for the product. Both functions have & style specifications during the journey from the factory to the retailer.
- Creasing, crushing & dust may affect the quality & have to be prevented in packaging.
- Military apparel & apparel destined for export & shipment to extremes of climate conditions must be packaged to protect the product against wetting, mildew, fungus, excessive light and handling damages.
- Handling damage refers to tears, creases & staining when the package is broken by shipping handling.